In terms of insights about myself as a result of this blogging experience, this assignment has certainly "demystified" what it means to create a blog. This software is very user friendly and having written instructions to guide the process was quite helpful. As time went on, it became easier and easier to manage the blog and design the layout. Before starting this assignment, I admit I was a little intimidated.....I have responded to blogs in the past, but actually designing one, that was another animal in and of itself! As I "dug in" and began to experience this blog, the shroud of mystery was slowly removed. Managing the blog brought some challenges, however. I have learned that no matter how aesthetically pleasing your page looks, how controversial your topic is, and no matter how many invitations you sent out, your blog experience is only as fruitful as your contributors make it. Often during the experience, new resources were added, topics posted, and conversations ignited, but the responses/results were often minimal. This is not necessarily a new insight; I know of one blog in particular that had a very thought-provoking, spiritually charged topic, yet the creator eventually pulled it because she just wasn't getting the responses that she'd hoped for. In this case, perhaps it was because individuals were so intent on making their own blogs spectacular that the second component (contributing to others' blogs) was often missing. For this reason, the most valuable personal insight that I take from this blogging experience is the fact that I was able to expand upon my knowledge of creating blogs, thus removing my intimidation regarding the topic.
Welcome!!
Welcome to our blog. The purpose of this blog is to provide an open forum to discuss social promotion versus retention as well as offer helpful information to parents, teachers, counselors, administrators and the community at large.
The topic of social promotion versus retention has taken on a new twist in Georgia due to implementation of new testing standards. The numbers of students being retained in the 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades have increased rapidly because they are not meeting the CRCT standards. This has sparked a controversy among educators, parents, students, and the community as a whole. Has the system failed our students when it is determined that they will be retained? Should social promotion be an option?
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Insights about myself....Ashley
In terms of insights about myself as a result of this blogging experience, this assignment has certainly "demystified" what it means to create a blog. This software is very user friendly and having written instructions to guide the process was quite helpful. As time went on, it became easier and easier to manage the blog and design the layout. Before starting this assignment, I admit I was a little intimidated.....I have responded to blogs in the past, but actually designing one, that was another animal in and of itself! As I "dug in" and began to experience this blog, the shroud of mystery was slowly removed. Managing the blog brought some challenges, however. I have learned that no matter how aesthetically pleasing your page looks, how controversial your topic is, and no matter how many invitations you sent out, your blog experience is only as fruitful as your contributors make it. Often during the experience, new resources were added, topics posted, and conversations ignited, but the responses/results were often minimal. This is not necessarily a new insight; I know of one blog in particular that had a very thought-provoking, spiritually charged topic, yet the creator eventually pulled it because she just wasn't getting the responses that she'd hoped for. In this case, perhaps it was because individuals were so intent on making their own blogs spectacular that the second component (contributing to others' blogs) was often missing. For this reason, the most valuable personal insight that I take from this blogging experience is the fact that I was able to expand upon my knowledge of creating blogs, thus removing my intimidation regarding the topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ashely, I totally agree with one of your insights about blogging. I thought that you were totally accurate when you wrote, "I have learned that no matter how aesthetically pleasing your page looks, how controversial your topic is, and no matter how many invitations you sent out, your blog experience is only as fruitful as your contributors make it." Even though this blogging experience has been very interesting and in my opinion worthwhile, I think that it could have been a whole lot more rewarding (especially professionally speaking) if we could have gotten more dialogue going with others.
Post a Comment