Welcome!!

Welcome to our blog. The purpose of this blog is to provide an open forum to discuss social promotion versus retention as well as offer helpful information to parents, teachers, counselors, administrators and the community at large.

The topic of social promotion versus retention has taken on a new twist in Georgia due to implementation of new testing standards. The numbers of students being retained in the 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades have increased rapidly because they are not meeting the CRCT standards. This has sparked a controversy among educators, parents, students, and the community as a whole. Has the system failed our students when it is determined that they will be retained? Should social promotion be an option?


Friday, April 4, 2008

Application Of Blogs To My Profession - Kimberly

As a school counseling candidate, I can anticipate many applications of the blog to my profession. I think that most blogs are intended to be persuasive rather than informative. But either way that you look at it, I think that blogs are an excellent tool for sharing resources and information. I especially like the fact that blogs are interactive and provide commentary as well as allow an exchange of opinions, ideas and information on a variety of subject matters. School counselors can use the blog to focus on hot topics or even bring attention to topics that are not quite as popular, but just as important as the more widely publicized topics. I personally think that collaboration with other professionals is vitally important to the school counselor, and blogging is an excellent way to collaborate.
Unfortunately, many school counselors have to prove their worth. I think that the blog is a great tool that school counselors can employ to sell themselves. School counselors can post information about themselves, their profession, and their functions. They can also provide samples of their work and provide information on studies or findings that they may have conducted that have had a significant impact on their school or their profession.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I like your idea to use blogging as a way to consult with other professionals. It is so immportant to keep up to date on current events, new innovations in counseling, and to have peers to discuss ideas with.

Ashley Miller said...

Kimberly, I never thought of using blogging as a way to publicize my work as a counselor. When I think of blogs, I think of communicating ideas and persuading others...many of the blogs I read (unrelated to this course) are very persuasive in nature. This puts a biased spin on blogs, but at the core of blogging is freedom to express one's self in an open way. It is up to others to do with it what they will. This brings me to my next point: as a counselor I would imagine you would have to heavily monitor the blogging experience with students. The possibility for students' anonymity to be maintained makes would make me extra sensitive to what I'd allow students to post. The need for moderation seems essential in this case.